Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Homemade Christmas Ideas?


For the past couple of years as a family we have taken a vote. Do we want to do homemade Christmas or not? Homemade Christmas is that everyone makes their Gifts for each other homemade. Then Santa will bring something store bought. It has been a tremendous success every year. To my delight, I thought that maybe my kids might be getting to old to want to do this again, But when the question was posed Homemade or not homemade?, The answer was unanimous HOMEMADE! yeah:) But now the thought of what to help them make. Suggestions here would be great. I love doing fun things from the kids. Things that they would like to play with or actually be able to use. Last year, as shown in the picture above, I made John an afghan, It is one of his favorite kinds of blanket. And done with a really soft yarn it was a wonderful success.John made the kids shelves for their rooms. The kids loved them. And of course Gloria and Jesicas wedding dress pictures. The first year, Sam made stuffed snakes for everyone, that was a big hit. The funnest thing for me to see was when it was christmas morning, because the kids had worked so hard to make their gifts, they were by far more excited about giving their gifts than receiving anything and the last thing on any of their minds was SANTA. It was fun to see that that was possible. Anyway, my four year old made bouncy balls for everyone using a kit. He thought that was way cool. Gloria made Samuel a homemade chess set, he loved that as well. I won't go into detail about everyones gifts from everyone but they all had fun making them. Well so....This is my asking for ideas on homemade gifts that are EASY for me to help them do. Hopefully we will be able to count this year a success too, wish me luck.

7 comments:

Adams Family said...

I remember my mom making homemade beanbag chairs for the older kids one year. Football shaped or mascot colors, etc. I copied princesses out of coloring books, laminated them and put flanel on the back for a big flannel board thing for MaryAnn one year, but you could do Book of Mormon stories or something and then let them teach FHE lessons with them. And, of course, a pillow case with Johnny or Samuels, name embroidered on it is always great. (The boys got those almost every year.)

Cathy Brian said...

yeah I was thinkung pillow cases were always a big hit.woohoo!!!
I made a teepee one year. and that same year I made a play mat farm. but you could do a play mat of an unlandscaped house and the kids could play landscaping(I was joking as I wrote this and then I thought Hey, that might actually work.)My kids always love the sords made from pvc pipe with the foam float tubes cut and slid onto them.(did that make sense?)

Cathy Brian said...

sword i mean

Taralee said...

Well, I hate to say it, but I was coming to comment and give the idea of pillow cases with WAY COOL fabrics. Or maybe doing them for each holiday. But I had to laugh when I saw the other people said pillow cases too. I keep thinking about doing seasonal one's for my kids. I think they would love sleeping on a heart pillow leading up to Valentines day or a pumpkin pillow for Halloween...

Your idea is so great though. I like that you said Santa isn't as thought about. I'm getting tempted to start your idea!! I'll let you know :)

Boy Mom said...

I've been thinking of service gifts this year like read a book to #7. Or take # 3 for a coke really simple things that involve spending time with each other. Homemade art is always fun. Maybe a cake mix from Gloria to Naomi or Kenneth with cooking lessons gift.

Ray and Mickie said...

Tracey I was thinking that doing homemade service projects might be a fun one. Kind of like what boymom said. Each kid has a talent that the other might desire to learn. One might be good at art, cooking, passing a certain level on a game. Maybe the kids could give gifts of service to eachother. For example. I am giving Ellie the service gift of teaching her how to use the sewing machine to make an apron. That way it puts each kid spending time with another alone for a bit of time, learning from eachother. I don't know it was just a thought. But if you aren't thinking in that direction then the gift ideas I had are Aprons for each kid to help out in the kitchen, Jean pocket MP3 Player holders, or pen/paper holders, Homemade quiet/activity books for each kid for church, or for traveling. I have some others but this is probably a long enough post so I will be done. :)

Taralee said...

what did you ever decide? How's it going?!! Miss you :)